Farewell 2008 - Welcome 20092008 is behind us, but the news media suggests we will need to endure 2008's financial hangover well into 2009. Perhaps you've heard "It is going to get worse before it gets better". I loathe negative thinking like this. I mean, who hasn't heard of "self-fulfilling prophecies"? Negative thoughts and negative energy beget negative consequences. It wasn't long ago that Oprah was promoting " The Secret". If you haven't read the book or watched the movie, I suggest you add this to your accomplishments list for Q1 2009.
Think Positively - Take ControlWhile curing world economies might be beyond the scope of your individual resources or abilities, there are steps you can take to improve your life and personal situation. We cannot always control the events around us, but we can certainly control how we react. Let us react positively and make changes that will better our lives, our communities, and our economies.
New Years Resolutions?It seems it is an annual ritual. Under a glass of bubbly, sometime around midnight, people make resolutions for changes they'd like to make in their lives. Too often the goals are lofty and difficult to achieve, and the resolutions end up having a very short life span. Bearing this in mind, this year I decided to try something different.
A 30 Day AdventureInstead of aspiring to lofty lifetime changes, I'm taking control just 30 days at a time. I'd like to shed a few extra pounds this year (not an uncommon goal). I am 6 feet tall. According to this BMI (Body Mass Index) Chart, I should weigh about 182 LBS or 82 KGs. I am currently 30 LBS over budget, so I've got some work to do and here is my 30 Day Adventure plan:
- Drink Black Coffee instead of adding milk and sugar
- Eat healthy breakfasts instead of just buying the ingredients for my family. Oatmeal with fresh fruit is an early front-running favorite.
- Walk 30 minutes each day
- Exercise four to six times a week - I enjoy running - just need to make the time to actually do it.
- Eat salads, fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, and occasionally some fish. Beef and Chicken will have to wait until my 36 inch waist pants fit comfortably.
- There is a reason, my doctor says, that calorie counts are not printed on beer, wine, and liquor labels. I already avoid sugary sodas, so - for just 30 days - I plan to avoid alcoholic beverages. With the social season of football upon us, this won't be easy to do, but I figure if I can eliminate caloric waste it will be better for my waist goals.
- Tell family and friends about my goals and plans. By telling others what you plan to do, you can become increasingly committed to achieving your goals.
Eliminating IT WasteThere is a great deal of buzz these days about cutting IT Costs. In the Forrester Research blog for CIOs, the article DEFINING LEAN caught my attention. This article discusses the importance of eliminating IT Waste. You can cut a great deal of IT Waste by putting your database transaction costs on a diet, and DBI can help you achieve this goal. If you want to achieve GREEN IT objectives, eliminate waste, lower your costs, AND improve business performance, please CONTACT DBI and we'll help you.
DBI in 2009Despite "the 2008 economy", we had a very good year with record setting customer growth. We began 2008 with the simple mission of helping organizations improve the financial and operational performance of their businesses. We believed that if we provided extraordinary results for our customers and extraordinarily benefits for our team members who make the magic happen, then our business would grow - and, I am pleased to say, it did!
In 2009, DBI will:
- Continue to provide team members with 5 bonus holidays so that each month there is a 3 day weekend
- Continue to provide team members with a paid vacation benefit that covers travel, living, meals, and entertainment
- Continue to seek and retain top shelf, highly motivated, team members who are committed to helping our customers achieve extraordinary success
- Begin exploring new ways to communicate with our rapidly growing customer list and develop communities for our customers
- Continue to add new world wide business partners and nurture existing partners
- Continue our focus on our primary core value - helpfulness. We help our customers. We help each other.
Closing RemarksNever mind all of the negative noise and energy in the world right now. You are in control of YOU, and YOU can make a difference. You can improve your life, and you can improve your career and business by taking the lead on cost cutting, waste elimination, and operational performance improvements.
Here's to your success in 2009!