IDUG NA 2015 DB2 LUW SESSION BINGO!
C08 :: C09 :: D10 :: C11 :: D12 :: C13 :: C14
C15 :: C16 :: D17 :: C18 :: D19 :: E20 :: D21 You win!
Scott's Recommended DB2 LUW Tech Sessions
Choosing sessions can be very hard. Sometimes you want to attend because you've heard or know there is a great speaker. Sometimes the content interests you. And sometimes you just can't decide because there are conflicting great sounding sessions.
"*" - indicates a change due to IDUG's revised schedule (30 MAR 2015)
The hyperlinks below take you to IDUG's site for more detailed information on each session.
Monday 4 May
- *C01 - Going BLU: How to Convert Existing Databases & Tables to BLU Acceleration Speaker: Matthias Nicola, IBM.
- C02 - DB2 DPF: What a single partitioned DBA needs to know in 10 points Speaker: Pavan Kristipati, Huntington Bank. @pkristipati
- You might be tempted to go to D02 instead on sizing BLU with Berni Schiefer. Let's just cut to the chase on sizing BLU: Buy as much CPU and memory as you can afford, and then take out a loan and buy some more!
- If security and auditing is your thing, try E02 with @DanL_Database as an alternate for C02.
- C03 - DB2 Cancun: A Technical Overview Speaker: Matt Huras, IBM.
- *D04 - More Sage Advice: Invaluable DB2 LUW Performance Insights from Around the Globe Speaker: Scott Hayes, DBI. @srhayes at @dbisoftware
Tuesday 5 May
- C05 - Performance Gains and Cost Savings with IBM DB2 10.5 Speaker: Kimberly Floss, Senior Manager of Database Services for PepsiCo.
- C06 - The Latest and Greatest on DB2 pureScale: Highlights of New Features & Enhancements in DB2 10.5 -- including the DB2 Cancun Release! Speaker: Kelly Schlamb, IBM @KSchlamb
- D07 - Top Ten DB2 LUW Explain Tips Speaker: John Hornibrook, STSM, IBM
- Security is BORING but IMPORTANT! C08 - DB2 Security: The Latest Updates From the Lab Speaker: Walid Rjaibi, Chief Security Architect, IBM Information Management
Don't miss the grand opening of the IDUG Exhibit Hall! Get your Passport to Prizes card stamped! And check out the magic shows at DBI's booth #108 performed by Frank Velasco!
Wednesday 6 May
- Learn how to use WLM! C09 - Rounding Up Outlaw Queries in DB2 Speaker: David Kalmuk, STSM, Senior Architect - Systems & Workload Management for DB2 for LUW - IBM Canada
- From DB2 DPF to BLU - User Experiences D10 - 9.7 to 10.5 Migration Experiences Speaker: Sudip Kundu, DBA - Mayo Foundation
- This was a tough pick! C10 - Mis-adventures of a DB2's Got Talent Winner - Technical Topics by Michael Krafick also looks good, and Michael is very funny too! It's almost a coin toss! Both presenters are DBI Software customers!
- HADR in the real world! C11 - HADR troubleshooting and best practices a PepsiCo guide Speaker: Christopher Godfrey, Accelerated Value Leader - IBM
- Wow! V8.2 to V10.5?!?!? GET OFF those old, unsupported releases! D12 - Doing the Long Jump : How To Upgrade By 4 DB2 for LUW Versions In One Step! Speaker: Philip Nelson, Database Specialist - Lloyds Banking Group / ScotDB Limited
- C13 - DB2 Basics: Writing SQL with Examples on DB2 10.5 System Views and Table Functions Speaker: Ember Crooks, IBM Champion and IBM DB2 GOLD Consultant @ember_crooks
- Help Prevent Data Breaches! C14 - DB2 Security Tips and Best Practices Speaker: Walid Rjaibi, Chief Security Architect, IBM Information Management - IBM
Thursday 7 May
Don't miss the Passport to Prizes drawing at 12:45pm in the Exhibit Hall! You must be present to win!
- I like success stories from real users! C15 - Why the University of Toronto is feeling BLU - Faster, Smaller, and Simpler in Only a Few Hours! Speaker: Brenda Boshoff, Senior Database Administrator - University of Toronto
- C16 - db2batch Tips and Tricks Speaker: Paul Turpin, Consulting Database Administrator - BB&T @pault99 Paul gives GREAT and VERY helpful presentations year after year!
- As an alternate, try D16 P2 - Query Performance and Optimizer Specific Type of Issues Speaker: Anthony Reina, Accelerated Value Specialist - IBM Canada Lab - Toronto Site. You can see a replay of Paul Turpin's presentation on The DB2Night Show™ Episode #139
- For technical sessions #17, it's a tough pick for DB2 LUW people. There are two somewhat narrowly focused presentations - one on DB2 multi-temperature storage with EMC and another on Websphere e-Commerce. Both have good presenters. I'm leaning slightly towards the e-Commerce session because there is probably some broader applicability to OLTP transactional applications in general, plus Ember used the "BLU" word.
- D17 - Supporting WebSphere Commerce DB2 Databases in the Real World Including WCS 7 and DB2 10.5 Speaker: Ember Crooks, IBM Champion and IBM DB2 GOLD Consultant @ember_crooks Is her voice tired yet?
- C17 - Using The Multi-Temperature Data Feature with Fully Automated Storage Tiering Speaker: Roger Sanders, Senior Consultant, Software Engineer - EMC Corporation @Roger_E_Sanders
- Did someone say BLU? And SAP?!?!? C18 - DB2 BLU: Adoption Guidelines and Lessons Learned at Coca-Cola Bottling Company Speakers: Naresh Chainani, Senior Software Engineer - IBM, and Andrew Juarez, Lead SAP Basis DBA at Coca-Cola
Friday 8 May
- *D19 - Monitoring BLU Acceleration In-Depth Speakers: David Kalmuk, IBM
- E20 - DB2 10.5 New Features - A Query Optimizer Perspective Speaker: John Hornibrook, Senior Technical Staff Member - IBM Canada
- *D21 - Getting Top Performance from DB2 pureScale - a Migration Guide Speaker: Steve Rees, IBM
Latest News via Twitter
Visit and bookmark these Twitter feeds (you don't need to be a twitter user to view these links) :
- @idugdb2 Official IDUG
- @srhayes Scott Hayes - DB2 LUW performance guru, IBM Champion, & DB2 GOLD Consultantant
- @mkrafick Mike Krafick - DB2 comic and IBM Champion
- @ember_crooks Ember Crooks - DB2Commerce.com blogger, IBM Champion, & DB2 GOLD Consultantant
- @mstopfer1 Melanie Stopfer - world famous IBM DB2 teacher that is addicted to chocolate chip cookies
- @susvis Susan Visser - IBM's most popular blogger, DB2's GOT TALENT judge, and social media curator.
- @db2fred Fred Sobotka - DB2 comic and XML brain surgeon.
- @pault99 Paul Turpin, nice guy, seasoned DB2 pro, excellent speaker
- @ibm_db2 IBM DB2
- @pkgcache Fred & Ian - Podcast publishers at www.packagecache.com
- @craigmullins Craig Mullins - he writes those hefty thick DB2 bible books
- @danl_database Dan Luksetich - most awesome SQL coder in the world
- @db2performance Tweets mostly about DB2 LUW Performance stuff, tips, events, tricks
- @db2nightshow Tweets mostly about The DB2Night Show™ events, shows, replays, and ReTweets entertaining and informative content
Better yet, don't just visit, FOLLOW! Even Better - Get Mobile Notifications! @mkrafick and @db2fred say some really funny things and you don't want to miss their wit and wisdom!