Special Guest: Iqbal Goralwalla
Show Host Scott Hayes Commentary
Iqbal is truly a DB2 GEEK! This guy reads the fine print of DB2 Fixpack notes for bed time stories! I am amazed and impressed by the information and tips that he shared today. It is no wonder that 100% of our studio audience learned something!
Here is a sampling of topics that Iqbal covered: CONNECT_PROC, registry variable DB2_RESTORE_GRANT_ADMIN_AUTHORITIES, db2pd, db2caem, db2support, SQL LISTAGG and fuzzy LIKE joins, ALT_DIAGPATH, db2cklog, and more! I won't be surprised if this show is a Top 10 show for 2012!
PS- Don't fast forward through today's quick commercial from DBI. It's an eye opener- you might learn something important!
Join The DB2Night Show™ LinkedIn Group
The DB2Night Show™ has a LinkedIn Group. The "closed" group is open to any LinkedIn member. Join to receive LinkedIn group updates including future shows and replay information, and, if you like, start some discussions about the show! Join The DB2Night Show LinkedIn Group!
The Corporate Sponsor of The DB2Night Show:
DBI is often asked to compare our DB2 LUW performance tools to IBM's Optim Performance Manager. One of the biggest differences is overhead. DBI's overhead is minimal, usually in the range of 1-3%. On the other hand, we often hear that OPM's overhead runs 20-40%. Watch DBI's commercial and you'll see why OPM's overhead is so high.
Why is IBM OPM freely bundled into so many DB2 license offerings?Here are a few thoughts:
- When software companies can't sell software on its own merit, they bundle it.
- By bundling OPM alongside DB2 licenses, the customer thinks they might be getting more value.
- But, instead of getting more value, they receive a placebo - a little sugar pill that sweetens the deal but doesn't do much
- When you install OPM and it adds 20-40% overhead to your monitored servers, now you have to add CPUs and DB2 licenses just to break even from the monitoring overhead.
- While OPM might be "free" in your DB2 deal, implementation is NOT. Customers are advised to procure large multi-CPU servers with terabytes of storage, and you'll likely spend several weeks or months trying to get it working
- Since OPM doesn't provide the information you need to optimally tune your databases, your organization will be forever trapped into higher hardware and DB2 license costs.
- Do your due diligence!
for Breakthrough DB2 Performance Solutions
that Deliver Invaluable Results
for Organizations having the most Demanding Requirements
and Discriminating Preferences
Our #1 Job is helping you look great!
Our #2 Job is giving you the documentation to prove it!
Get the Download Replays
To download a recorded replay of Episode #82 in WMV format, right click on
the link below and choose "Save As..."
Episode #82, 11 May 2012, DB2 LUW 9.7 Fixpack Pearls with Iqbal Goralwalla
Have an iLife, iDevice, iPod, iPad, or iPhone? Right click and download the MP4 ( M4V ) format!
Did you learn something from this show?See that "Mail This" link below? Click it and do a friend a favor - share this blog post and show with one of your friends or peers. THANKS!
Share a great show with your friends and followers: