Deciding what sessions to attend can be quite difficult, especially given the selection of awesome sessions this year at IDUG. Michael Krafick offered some good advice in his guest blog on DB2commerce.com. In this blog post, I'm going to sort out my schedule for the week. Hope to see you in the conference rooms!
Keep up with the latest #IDUGNA newsBookmark bit.ly/idugna13 on your smartphone or tablet. This page provides a continuously updated feed of Twitter Tweets containing #IDUGNA or #IDUG. Get the latest news, room changes, session changes, gossip, advice, news, and opinions with a quick visit to this page!
IDUG DB2 Conference Orlando Session Picks
Monday 29 April
- DB2 for LUW Top Gun Performance Workshop (Bonaire 5&6) with Scott Hayes and Martin Hubel. Obviously, this is where I need to go. But, don't miss it - you'll learn a lot about DB2 LUW Performance!
Tuesday 30 April
- 8-10am, Keynote Session. Look for the chair drops!
- 10:15-11:45am, What is Big Data in 90 Minutes vs 1,000,000,000 Google Search Results (Curacao 5-7). Paul Z rocks as a presenter! There'll be plenty of other sessions to hear about the latest DB2 10.5 BLU news, or check out The DB2Night Show™ on 24th May with George Baklarz.
- 12:45pm-1:45pm, C01 - DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration ... a real life example of the value of BLU Acceleration (Grand Sierra H&I). Have to start drinking the BLU punch at some point.
- 2:00pm-3:00pm, E02 - Having fun with complex SQL (Bonaire 1&2). I'm torn between C02 and E02. Rebecca Bond is an excellent presenter if you're into security. Suresh Sane is also an excellent presenter and I'm fascinated by complex SQL. D02 is an IBM commercial.
- 3:15pm-4:15pm, H03 - Prospecting for Gold Nuggets in DB2 10.1 (Curacao 3&4). Let me shoot you straight. Paul Turpin is a very good presenter and his presentation is full of technical tips and practical advice. The other LUW oriented sessions look too fluffy and marketing for me.
- 4:30pm-5:30pm, H04 - Best Practices: Upgrade to DB2 LUW 10 (Curacao 3&4). Tougher choices here, but Melanie Stopfer is a rock star presenter and her presentations are normally packed with insightful, actionable, "take it home and use it" advice.
- 5:30pm-7:30pm, The IDUG Welcome Reception. Be sure to visit the DBI Software or HLS Technology booths to pick up your invitation to our IDUG 25th Anniversary Party!
- 8:00pm-Midnight, DBI & HLS team up to throw IDUG a 25th Anniversary Celebration! Bring your completed party invitation to the Caribbean Ballroom I, II, III. COME HUNGRY! We've got great food, free drinks, arcade games, and - all the way from Arizona - The Shining Star Band!
Wednesday 1 May
- 9:15am-10:15am, D05 - BNSF Railway: Details and Best Practices from a DB2 pureScale Implementation (Curacao 5&6). I like customer success stories. Nice way to start the day.
- 10:30am-11:30am, D06 - Table Monitors Who, What, When, Where, Why, How (Curacao 5&6). The abstract on the IDUG web site is incomplete, but the topic sounds interesting. Leon Katsnelson has a good presentation on DB2 in the Cloud. Toss up!
- 1:00pm-2:00pm, VSP, Proactive Performance Management for IBM DB2 LUW (Grand Sierra H&I). Scott Hayes will show you the magic tricks for making DB2 LUW run crazy fast, efficient, throughout the development, test, QA, and production life cycle. And, DBI is giving away an Apple iPad!
- 2:15pm-3:15pm, NOW you may take a break at the pool if it is not raining! If it is raining, try session E07 - Battle-Proven SQL Tuning Techniques (Bonaire 1&2) with Phil Gunning.
- 3:30pm-4:30pm, Technical Networking Opportunities (TNO). I just can't decide. Nuts and Bolts of DB2 LUW Performance (Curacao 1&2) might be interesting.
- And you can take the evening off! Or go to the IBM party - planned for poolside - but rain is forecast!
Thursday 2 May
- 8:00am-9:00am, C08 - The 10 Commandments of Supporting E-Commerce Databases (Grand Sierra H&I) with Ember Crooks. DON'T MISS IT! Ember gave a presentation like this one on The DB2Night Show™ and it was amongst the Top downloads of 2012!
- 9:15am-10:15am, C09 - Index Jump Scans and Updated Rules for Optimal DB2 LUW Index Design (Grand Sierra H&I). Scott Hayes is presenting. Findings are SHOCKING!
- 10:30am-11:30am, VSPs, BMC, Compuware, and CA are presenting on mainframe tools. You pick, or take a pool break if it is not raining!
- 1:00pm-2:00pm, C10 - Wowza! Great Tips I’ve Learned about DB2 LUW 10 (Grand Sierra H&I). Melanie Stopfer is the presenter. Enough said!
- 2:15pm-3:15pm, C11 - A DB2 LUW Fitness Plan (Grand Sierra H&I). Brian Fairchild won 3rd place in DB2's GOT TALENT 2012. I just know it'll be a good presentation!
- 3:30pm-4:30pm, D12 - An Index's Guide to the Universe (Curacao 5&6) with Brad Price. Brad is a great presenter and his presentations are the type you will take home ideas that you can put to immediate use!
- 4:45pm-6:00pm, DB2 LUW Mini-panel (Bonaire 1&2).
- 7:30pm-9:30pm, Dine Around - Vito's Chop House - Schlamb/Hayes (Dine Around G)
Friday 3 May
- 8:00am-9:00am, G13 - Customer Success Story: Using DBI Software tools for IBM DB2 LUW ( Bonaire 7&8 ). Now that IBM has been presenting on their tools and extra cost features all week long, despite the IBM and IDUG politics, here's your chance to learn how a DB2 Customer successfully implemented a new application. Kohli shares some excellent tips on how to get indexes to work with %like% predicates!
- 9:15am-10:15am, C14 - How to Maximize Performance Benefits from DB2 10.1 and an Introduction to DB2 10.5 BLU acceleration (Grand Sierra H&I)
- 10:30am-11:30am, F15 - Connecting DB2 to big data (hadoop) (Bonaire 5&6)
Travel home safe! Tell your friends and followers about these #IDUGNA recommendations!